Sunday, October 16, 2011

Interview: LM.C in Germany

LM.C

Two in one hit! This interview will not only be about the release of GIMMICAL *IMPACT!! and SUPER GLITTER LOUD BOX, but also about the colorful duo behind these two magnificent albums. LM.C, a wellknown band in homeland Japan, is blowing a fresh wind into Germany's Jrock-World. With their concerts in Munich and Cologne they amazed and bewitched through and through. Boosting music that enchants the ears, occasional double wit that differs them from others, and a strong self-willed presentation that simply forces you to go along.

LM.C, how they fare.

The two gentlemen behind this more than interesting project were playing together since 2003 "just for fun". In 2006 however they officially decided to join forces. Eventhough both already had a succesful music-career behind them, LM.C's successes came one after the other, and in 2008 they first reached over the Japanese border.

Rockoon: Now, you have finished playing all your shows in Germany. In our first interview, before the concerts started, Aiji had remarked that Germany is a country where, "the people drink beer as if it's water. And typical Germans are... People who love beer and prefer it over water." That answer has amused me deeply. So, what are your opinions now about Germany?

Maya: Germany is a country, where many beautiful women live!

Aiji: My opinion hasn't changed that much. To give one small example: The electricien at our gig in Cologne drank 5 gallons of beer by his own! Awful Germans! *grins*

Rockoon: I wanna make clear, I'm not one of the worsts with alcohol myself, though with most Japanese people I can't compare. The funny thing here actually, is that most people in Germany believe that Japanese people can't hold their liquor. Maybe your experiences during your Germany shows can alter this rumour?

Maya: Well, our performer DENKI-MAN has been nipping some Wodka during our live-shows! *laughs* 

Aiji: To be honest, I've never heard this kind of rumour before, and still I'm slightly insulted, to be taking this from people who drink beer like water! *laughs*

Rockoon: Tell us about your days in Europe. Which experiences will you not forget?

Maya: I felt so extremely happy, as I saw how many fans came to our concerts, and sang with us in our own language.

Aiji: All the moments we shared with our fans were so amazingly wonderful: I've really had indescribably beautiful days with them in Europe. I don't want to forget the tiniest moment!

Rockoon: Your tourplan really was terribly long! Where did you get your energy from?

Maya: We simply enjoyed our live-shows. That's it!

Aiji: We drank and ate well!

Rockoon: Before you came to Germany you played shows in Chili and Brazil. What can you tell us about that?

Maya: The cries and cheers of the fans were so extremely loud!

Aiji: Maybe it's custom in South-America, but during the shows I felt like the people in the crowd were having more fun dancing than listening.

Rockoon: Now you have traveled the world. What kind of thoughts about this trip went through your heads during your final show in Tokyo, before you left?

Maya: Actually I wasn't able to form thoughts at all, while from the start I had no idea what to expect.

Aiji: I was thinking about all those fans, that live in different countries we were about to visit. To me, that thought was very exciting!

Rockoon: Since 2008 you've visited the US as well. Do you find great differences between the European and US-fans?
Maya: Different faces!
Aiji: Wherever we go, everywhere there are great differences. 

Rockoon: I was very surprised to see the way you connect with your audience. What do you think about this contact with fans? How important is it for you to have a more personal bond?

Maya: The most important thing is, to get the maximum out of the little time we have been given.

Aiji: Actually we don't speak with our fans at shows, apart from the MC-parts during performances of course, but maybe there will be a day on which we'll change that. Still, during our shows we have learned, that you don't need words to reach people. Music can be enough to make people understand eachother, even if they speak whole different languages.

Rockoon: What's your opinion on the bad and good points a duo-formation has, regarding a band with five or six members?

Maya: We obviously have more room in the car when we travel around.

Aiji: The good point about having only two members is that you can experiment a lot, without having to deal with the opinion of the other members. The bad point is you have to recognise the importance of supportmembers and find a good place for each.

Rockoon: Do you often feel like an old married couple?

Maya: I feel that way, when there's nothing to keep us entertained.

Aiji: I think LM.C is build on "brotherly" feelings, not only in Art and Wisdom. We're interested in the same things. That's why I can safely decide, without asking for his opinion: "I bet he'll like this too!"

Rockoon: Maya, you've said you like the fact Aiji is older than you. Why?

Maya: Because I can get to play the "Little brother"-part this way.

Rockoon: Let's talk about your music. On your album GIMMICAL *IMPACT!! there's the song LIAR LIAR. What is the song about?

Maya: I wrote LIAR LIAR while traveling to Tokyo. This song and also CHEMICAL KING-TWOON are the first songs I wrote at home. This was the earliest stage of LM.C, many people started to support us and I wrote LIAR LIAR. The lyrics and the music are about the thoughts about these persons. I wanted to express my connection with the fans in a story. Around this time we also received fanmail from abroad, and I think you can find this back in the lyrics. I've never talked about my personal perspective in a Japanese interview, this really is the first time I'm answering this kind of question.


Rockoon: Wow, thank you so much! Do you always base your lyrics on personal experiences, or do you believe personal thoughts should not be the base of music?

Maya: Once I express a personal experience, I never publish them raw and unedited. I think the explanation and formulation belongs to the receiver. I deliver personal thoughts when needed. I don't want to change this process.

Rockoon: What kind of personal experiences often surface in your lyrics?

Maya: That is and will remain a secret.

Rockoon: Maya, I heard that when you have writers-block you can't sleep anymore. How do you deal with this problem?

Maya: I don't sleep. I free myself from all the pressure from outside and focus only on my own path, my own feelings and the belief in myself.

Rockoon: Which one of you is, talking self-criticism, hardest on yourself?

Maya: I'm quite mellow to myself. I can be strict towards others though.

Aiji: I think we're always hard on ourselves. At the same time, I don't think this kind of criticism is too hard in general... I'm just strict and stoic when it comes to our music.

Rockoon: In Europe you've released GIMMICAL *IMPACT!! and SUPER GLITTER LOUD BOX. Give us a reason to buy both albums.

Maya: I think that when you listen to both albums, you'll understand more of what makes LM.C.

Aiji: Both albums are simply awesome! ... Is there any other Rock on this world, that also brings this "kawaii" cheeky selfexpression?

Rockoon: ... and where are the differences between GIMMICAL *IMPACT!! and SUPER GLITTER LOUD BOX?

Maya: The differences are big, because the songs and lyrics were written during different periods of time.

Aiji: Please just listen to both albums and compare your own insights.

Rockoon: We've also prepared a "Short Question"-category for you. Have fun with it! What makes you guys happy?

Maya: The fact, that You, who reads these words, excists.

Aiji: The smiles of fans in the moment we create our music with a big heart.

Rockoon: Please finish the next phrase! "I'm interested in..."

Maya: I'm interested in myself.

Aiji: I'm interested in the universe.

Rockoon: "I can laugh (about)..."

Maya: I can laugh by myself.

Aiji: I can laugh when I accidentally drop my chopsticks.

Rockoon: "I can cry (about)..."

Maya: I can cry over the blue sky.

Aiji: I can cry over "From the Northern Country" (Japanese TV-drama).

Rockoon: "I get shocked when..."

Maya: I get shocked when I see the milk I bought that morning is expired.

Aiji: I get shocked when a new war breaks out.

Rockoon: "I want to meet ..., to tell him/her ..."

Maya: I want to meet myself from ten years back, to tell him how grateful I am.

Aiji: I want to meet my old dog, to tell him "Forgive me".

Rockoon: What are you afraid of?

Maya: Of my constricting occupations.

Aiji: I'm afraid of earthquakes.

Rockoon: How would you rather want your german fans to remember you?

Maya: As the two-men-rockband who loves Germany.

Aiji: As the most genius and coolest japanese rockband.

Rockoon: What are your plans for the future?

Maya: I want to go back to Germany as soon as possible for a personal trip.

Aiji: Our newest song will be released begin May, and at May 02 we'll be playing at Hibiya Open-Air Concert Hall. 

Rockoon: ... and your dreams?

Maya: I wanna live in Germany!

Aiji: I want to have the power, to spread LM.C's music more across the world. It is my dream to reach people all across the globe.

Rockoon: Finally, do you want to say something to your fans?

Maya: Thank you so much for supporting us. We shall cross mountains and seas again; so please wait for us! I'll never forget your smiles we've seen at the shows. I wish, we'll be seeing eachother again very very soon.

Aiji: Thank you all who came to our shows in Munich and Cologne! Thank you, we've had so many great moments with you all. I think we'll be returning to Germany. So please, come see us again. For my part, I can't wait to see you all again... And to those who haven't heard LM.C's music yet: please wait for coming Fall to get our album! 



Credits: Karisutaru

No comments:

Post a Comment